Unlocking HT701 the BasicTalk ATA

Important NOTE: a better unlocking method has been posted later in this thread.  My soft unlock may help in some cases if the ATA has "called home".

I have some good news for those of you looking for an inexpensive ATA.

I've just got my hands yesterday on a couple of BasicTalk ATAs (I've had my eyes on them for a few months but I live in Canada and don't go to US that often) and I put together a small tutorial for unlocking them.
The ATA is a Grandstream HT701 with a customized firmware.
I posted it on my website at »voipfan.net/unlock/ht701bt.php
http://voipfan.net/unlock/ht701bt.php

I will leave the access open to everyone for a couple months then make it available to registered users (like my other unlocking tutorials).
Enjoy and if you run into any trouble please post here.


Q.
Can you flash it with Granstream's firmware after unlocking it so it doesn't re-lock after factory reset?
Here is the official firmware link for HT701:

A.At this point it doesn't appear to accept the regular HT701 firmware. I would like to work on that too but I would need an unlocked HT701 to dump the flash chip and compare.
BTW, if anyone has one of those and a SPI flash programmer such as the USB JTAG, and is not afraid to tinker with their hardware, I would be very interested to get an image of your device. The flash chip is a MX25L3206E, should be pretty easy to read.
I found an unlocked HT701 locally but I am not very eager to spend another $40 just for this project.

Unlocking the BasicTalk ATA made even easier !

OK, so I had an idea how to make this even easier, and here it is:
- disconnect your internet
- plug in the ATA, wait until it comes up and dial ***** to find the IP address
- login to the ATA with password "123" (that's the user password)
- go to the Basic tab and change all 4 DNS servers to 198.12.67.129 167.88.118.111
- click Update, Apply, Reboot
- reconnect your internet
- wait until the ATA reboots twice (you can do a ping -t ipaddress to find when it stops replying and comes back). Should be no more than 3-4 min
- your ATA should be unlocked, you can login with the password "admin" and configure it for your service provider

Notes for the tutorial:
tftp32 does the DNS feature without a trial version. Can also DHCP server to bring box up with direct ethernet connection.
»tftpd32.jounin.net
 http://tftpd32.jounin.net

The way the "easy" procedure works, is that your ATA's DNS is pointing at a server that I own, which has a DNS zone for vonage.net and the host httpconfig.vonage.net points to the same server which also hosts a web server that will serve the configuration file which resets the settings. Once the configuration file is served, the DNS servers are replaced with some public ones (Google's public DNS servers and the OpenDNS servers).
My DNS server should not be used after the ATA is unlocked, because it cannot resolve other hosts or domain names.
Also, as I think I mentioned before, factory reset is not safe (regardless of which unlock procedure you use). If you do a factory reset you must unlock the ATA again before it has a chance to connect to the internet. Otherwise it will download its configuration from Vonage and the unlock will not work anymore. I realize this sucks, but it's a situation very similar to the one in the past about the Vonage PAP2s. I definitely want to address this as well, but it may be weeks away if it's even possible.

»www.grandstream.com/support/firmware
http://www.grandstream.com/support/firmware

BTW factory firmware is here:
»www.grandstream.com/firmware/HT7···4.14.zip
http://www.grandstream.com/firmware/HT70x/Release_HT701_1.0.4.14.zip

»www.grandstream.com/firmware/HT7···4.14.pdf
http://www.grandstream.com/firmware/HT70x/Release_Note_HT70x_1.0.4.14.pdf

»www.grandstream.com/support/firmware
http://www.grandstream.com/support/firmware


tHANKS to the source:
http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r28597028-Unlock-Unlocking-the-BasicTalk-ATA

.

1 comment:

  1. no soup. Vonage apparently came by this method, and they blocked it also. The new firmware bricks the device if any attempt is made to unlock the vonage provisioning. You now have to discard any phone that comes from vonage if you factory reset it, and you don't have an active account with them. The device will contact vonage, download a corrupt firmware, and power cycle. The power cycle never completes, the device is bricked. This includes voip phones and ata devices as well as fax bridges.

    ReplyDelete